Grana Padano and Egg Stuffed Muffins With Prosciutto di San Daniele. – These egg stuffed muffins are cheesy and delicious – perfect for a picnic!
This post was created in collaboration with Grana Padano and Prosciutto di San Daniele. Look out for the Protected Designation of Origin symbol, which is an assurance of quality!
It’s almost picnic season!
I love piling a tonne of food into a picnic basket (or more likely, two great big rucksacks) and heading out with Chris and the kids for a sunny day of fun with lots of lovely food to look forward to.
In my imagination, we chat and laugh and walk for hours along coastal paths or around picturesque lakes, before settling down on our picnic blanket and sharing a well-earned lunch.
In reality, we arrive at the location as planned, then I have to listen to the kids repeatedly asking me if it’s lunchtime yet, or if they can have a snack.
The knowledge that there’s food in the bags is simply too much for them to bear, and they’ll buzz around me like little wasps on a melted ice cream until I give in and pass them a tuna sandwich.
They’ll promptly drop that all over themselves, before requesting more food, until all we have left come picnic-time is a tub of squished strawberries (due to the jiggling of picnic items whilst rummaging around in the bags).
So I’m leaving sandwiches behind on my next picnic, and packing these beautifully portable egg-stuffed muffins instead!
Flecked with Prosciutto di San Daniele and Grana Padano cheese, they make the perfect addition to the picnic basket. Plus, if I hand one of these to the kids during our walk, I know it’ll keep them full until it’s actually picnic time!
Here’s a video of the recipe:
These Grana Padano and Egg Stuffed Muffins With Prosciutto di San Daniele are delicious served warm or cold.
I made my latest batch last week when I had family over to visit for the afternoon. I served them up warm, as part of a big buffet lunch, along with extra Prosciutto di San Daniele, salad and fresh bread.
The Grana Padano and Egg Stuffed Muffins With Prosciutto di San Daniele Recipe:
Grana Padano and Egg Stuffed Muffins With Prosciutto di San Daniele.
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 240 ml buttermilk
- 250 g plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda baking soda
- 100 g grated Grana Padano cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- A few sprigs of parsley roughly chopped
- 6 slices Prosciutto di San Daniele chopped into small pieces
- 12 eggs hard-boiled and peeled
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f. Brush or spray a 12 hole, deep muffin tray with oil.
- Add the oil, melted butter, egg and buttermilk to a bowl. Mix using a fork or balloon whisk.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, all but 3 tbsp of the Grana Padano, salt, garlic salt, parsley, and Prosciutto di San Daniele. Mix together using a wooden spoon until just combined (don’t over-stir or the muffins will be tough)
- Take the prepared muffin tine and add one tablespoon of the muffin mixture to each of the holes. Place an egg on top, in each of the holes, and top with the remaining muffin mixture. Push the muffin mixture down the sides and around the egg using a spoon. Sprinkle on the reserved cheese and place in the oven. Cook at 200c/400f for 5 minutes, then turn the oven down to 175c/350f and cook for a further 12-14 minutes – until the tops are golden brown.
- Once cooked, leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing.
- Eat warm or cold alongside some extra Prosciutto di San Daniele!