Check out my video! Recorded in my living room because we have no kitchen!!
I’ve been looking at microwave mug cakes on Pinterest for a couple of years now. Usually turning my nose up, thinking they must be tough, flavourless and rubbery. Instead I’ve concentrated on creating my own quick dessert recipes – such as peach and almond cake or no-bake snickers bites.
I was wrong people!! (not about the peach and almond cake and Snickers bites, they’re still delish)
But mug cakes work! Light and fluffy (so long as you don’t overcook them), they rise up magically in the microwave like a soufflé! Throw in a few Rolos, and maybe top with a blob of ice cream and you’ve got a dessert in minutes.
I’d love to say I mixed and cooked this cake in one mug, but I’m just a little too messy. So I mixed it in a jug, then poured it into a cup. I may try again without the jug (just for practise sake of course), after all, a chocolate dessert with only a cup, a spoon and a fork needing to be washed up might just the best thing ever invented.
I hope you like the video. I’ve just started my YouTube channel, so I’m hoping to get more video recipes up soon. If you wanted to be one of my first subscribers just click here: (Thank you so much if you do!!).
Pro Tip: if you want to make this cake gluten free, you can replace the plain (all-purpose) flour with gluten free plain flour – it works great (tried and tested too!).
Alternate Flavours: If you like this chocolate mug cake i have also made a PB&J Mug Cake which is just as quick and super delicious too!
The Chocolate Caramel Mug Cake Recipe:
Chocolate Caramel Mug Cake - The Perfect Dessert For One
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips check for gluten free if needed
- 3 tbsp plain/all-purpose flour (you can replace with plain gluten free flour like-4-like)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder use gluten free if necessary
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 small egg lightly whisked
- 4 Rolos or other chocolate-covered caramels check for gluten free
- Chocolate chips and confectioners’ sugar
- Place the butter and chocolate chips in a jug and melt in the microwave (takes about 30-60 seconds).
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, pinch of salt and whisked egg to the jug. Whisk to combine.
- Pour into a mug. Press 4 Rolos into the centre of the mixture.
- Microwave for 90-110 seconds – until the cake rises up over the rim of the mug.
- Remove from the microwave and top with more chocolate chips and a sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar before serving (be careful, it will be hot).
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.