Mexican Hot Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie - A delicious warm smoothie to wake up your taste buds, this ones with a kick. Lots of healthy goodies in there too!
I haven't posted a hot smoothie recipe in ages! It's still far too cold for icy green smoothies, so I like to change it up and try different types of warm smoothie recipes!
Apart from this slightly spicy and chocolaty Mexican Hot Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie, a couple of my favourites are the apple, elderflower and pomegranate hot smoothie, and the oaty mocha hot smoothie!
The former being a lovely fruity, warm smoothie with the tangy-ness of those juicy fruits, the latter being a cosy, warming, creamy concoction with a little caffeine hit to get you moving!
It's so easy to add lots of nutritious ingredients into these smoothies. So long as you follow the golden rules of going with either a fruity-juicy combo or a creamy-oaty combo (never mix the two - bleurgh!) you can't go far wrong.
For the fruity ones, go with apples, oranges, pears and berries. Use herbal tea or a fruit presse mixed with water for the liquid part.
For the creamy ones, try banana, chocolate, oats and nuts. Use milk for the liquid part - regular milk, or nut milks work great!
Ingredients such a chia seeds, maca powder, wheatgrass powder and flaxseed can be added to both types.
Try it for breakfast - it definately wakes up those tastebuds! If you do give this smoothie a go, please read the warning below first about hot liquids and smoothie makers.
Don’t fill your smoothie maker up with hot liquid. It’s either going to shatter the glass (if you have a glass jug) or it’s going to come wushing out with a tonne of pressure when you open the lid after whizzing things up. Check your smoothie maker or blender can take warm or hot liquids. This recipe calls for a little of the warm milk to be added the other ingredients along with cold water before blending. The rest of the warm milk is added after blending.
The Mexican Hot Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie Recipe:
Mexican Hot Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie
- 15 g dark chocolate, chopped (check the brand for gluten free if required) - about 4 small chunks
- 240 ml milk (regular or almond milk)
- a pinch of hot chilli powder
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 1 ½ tbsp raw cacao powder - check for gluten free if needed
- 4 tbsp rolled oats - check the brand for gluten free if required
- ½ a ripe - medium sized banana
- 10 almonds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp maca powder - optional
- 2 tbsp cold water
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp grated dark chocolate
- 1 small red chilli - to decorate the glass
- Add the dark chocolate to a jug, pour in the milk, then add the chilli powder, cinnamon and cacao powder. Microwave until the mixture is warm and the chocolate has melted (you can do this in a pan if you prefer).
- Place the oats, banana, almonds, chia seeds, maca powder, the water and approx. a fifth of the milk mixture to your smoothie maker or blender. Add in an extra splash of cold water if you think the liquid is too warm (see warning above about hot liquids and smoothie makers).
- Blend on high for a minute until the oats and chia seeds have been completely incorporated.
- Whilst it's blending, further heat the rest of the milk mixture until hot, but not boiling.
- Pour the blended oat mix into your cup, stir in the milk/chocolate mix, then sprinkle on the chilli flakes and grated chocolate. Decorate the glass with a red chilli for fun if you like.