This wholesome Lentil and Red Pepper Soup with Wholemeal Pita Crisps is so tasty and filling – but healthy too!
Red lentils cooked down until sweet and creamy, blended together with onion, peppers, carrots and stock, then finished off with cheddar cheese – stirred in until melty and perfect.
This is a great soup for making in bulk and then taking to work. It freezes and re-heats really well, so I usually split it into portions for a lunch that Chris can grab and take out with him.
If you happen to be eating this at home though, the added topping of crunchy wholemeal pita crisps is a great (and less calorific) alternative to that big chunk of bread.
You can serve this delicious soup with the wholemeal pita chips in this recipe or with a nice hunk of fresh artisan bread, some nice flatbreads, or even with a portion of chips, because who doesn't love soup and chips, maybe that's just me LOL
I’ve been making this soup for about 8 years now – since my daughter was tiny. It started out as a baby puree for her, and I just added a couple of extra ingredients to turn it into a soup for me.
I was a bit puree mad back then. I had to go back to work when she was six-months old, so one of my ways of keeping the mummy-guilt in check was to always make her lovely homemade baby food. I think I tried her on one jar of apple puree when she was about 6 months old, and she puked it all up like something from the Exorcist. Sorry, you probably didn’t need to hear that!
But that was it, I stuck to the homemade stuff after that.
and I've been making this Lentil and Red Pepper Soup with Wholemeal Pita Crisps ever since.
Speaking of mummy-guilt, it's the last day of the Easter holidays, and my kids are looking at me pleadingly to take them to the park. Signing off early!
Have a great weekend everyone x
More Delicious Soups
Lentil and Red Pepper Soup with Wholemeal Pita Crisps
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion - peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper - deseeded and chopped
- 3 carrots - peeled and chopped
- 100 g red lentils
- 720 ml vegetable stock (use vegetable bouillon for gluten free)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 75 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large wholemeal pita bread - gluten free pita if required
- 1.5 tsp olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- Pinch paprika
- Extra cheese
- Ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions. Cook for 5-6 minutes until soft. Add in the red pepper and carrots and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add in the lentil and stir to coat in the oil. Add in the stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the soup is simmering, make the pita crisps. Preheat the oven to 180c/350f
- Slice the pita bread into thin strips and place in a heap on a baking tray. Drizzle over the oil and then sprinkle on the salt, pepper and paprika. Use your hands and mix everything up together, so all of the pita strips have a coating of oil.
- Place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes until browned and crispy. Keep and eye on them whilst they’re cooking to make sure they don’t burn.
- Once cooked, take out of the oven and leave on the tray to cool until the soup is ready.
- After the soup has been cooking for 20 minutes, turn off the heat and carefully blend it using a hand blender. The soup should be thick, but you can add a little hot water if you want to thin it down a little.
- Stir in the cheese, salt and pepper.
- Divide between three bowls and sprinkle with cheese, pita crisps, black pepper and parsley.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.