I'm loving me this superfast veggie lunch. Anyone else drooling right now?
I'm always amazed at the difference in taste between a raw mushroom and one that's been sprinkled with salt and pepper and cooked in butter for a few minutes. That chewy, tender center and salty, crisp exterior. So so good.
Yet Chris and my kids would totally turn their noses up at it.
What is wrong with these people (erm, I mean lovely family members)??
Lewis used to like mushrooms, but I think Chris has brainwashed him. Gracey's never really liked them.
In fairness, I thought I hated mushrooms until I left home to go to Uni. I decided I was a grown-up at that point, so it was ok for me to like them (and red wine too...).
Oh I missed out on so many mushroom eating years.
Well I'm making up for it now.
Since I haven't been successful in persuading Chris and the kids in eating them, I'll just have to continue to make this all for myself.
If you wanted to give your mushrooms a bit of a kick you could try my Cheesy Garlic and Chilli Stuffed Mushrooms. Or then there's my Tuscan Style Stuffed Mushrooms in Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce. OMG soo delicious! Off to buy more mushrooms just for myself, maybe I'll have a glass of red wine with it too 🙂
The Garlic Mushroom and Brie Toast Recipe:
Garlic Mushroom and Brie Toast
- 2 large slices bread - cut in half
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 regular mushrooms - I used chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- large pinch salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic - peeled and minced
- 170 g (6 oz) Brie - sliced
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Lightly toast the bread on both sides under a grill (broiler).2 large slices bread
- Heat the butter and oil in a small frying pan/skillet. Place the mushrooms in the pan and fry on a medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes until the mushrooms turn brown and a little bit crisp at the edges.1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp vegetable oil, 8 regular mushrooms
- Then turn down the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook for 1 more minute, then turn the heat down to very low.large pinch salt and pepper, 1 clove garlic
- Place the slices of brie on the toast and put back under the grill to melt. Once melted, place on two plates.170 g (6 oz) Brie
- Strip two of the thyme sprigs of the little leaves and stir through the garlic mushrooms. Spoon on top of the brie, then top each toast slice with a sprig of thyme and a grind of black pepper.6 sprigs of fresh thyme
If you’ve tried my recipe then please rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing your thoughts and add-ons to my recipes!
You can also follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and TWITTERto see what I’m up to in the kitchen, what recipes i’m loving, and of course YOUTUBE to see our latest recipe videos!
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps us to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors. For more information please see our Terms & Conditions.