Tuscan Style Chicken Soup
Tuscan Style Chicken Soup - a hearty soup with veggies and beans to warm up your belly!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 servings
- Fresh thyme
- Toasted granary bread to serve gluten free if required - Warburtons Newburn Bakehouse Seeded is a good one
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes on a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened.
Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrots and potatoes, stir, then add in the chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
Add in the drained cannellini beans and cook for a further 5 minutes
Add the shredded chicken and heat through for 2-3 minutes, then add the kale. Stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the kale has wilted. Test and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Divide between four bowls, topped with fresh parsley, grated parmesan and a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme. Serve with some toasted granary bread.
Can I make it gluten free?
Yes – use gluten free stock and serve with gluten free bread.
Can I make it ahead?
The kale won't be quite as vibrant, but yes, you can make this soup ahead. Make the soup, then quickly cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 2-3 days. Reheat in a pan until piping hot before serving.
Will it freeze?
Yes! Make the soup, then quickly cool, cover and freeze. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in a pan until piping hot before serving.
Nutritional information is per serving.
- Stir in chunks of slightly stale bread (like a Ribollita soup) about 15 minutes before the soup is done. This will thicken the soup.
- Make it a vegetarian version, leaving out the chicken and using a really good quality vegetarian stock. You'll also need to replace the parmesan with vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese.
- Replace the cannellini beans with tinned chickpeas or butter beans (lima beans)
- Add extra veggies or replace with different veggies – such as leeks or mushrooms.
- Stir in a couple of tablespoons of double (heavy) cream and a squeeze of lemon juice at the end, for a creamy version.
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 807mg | Potassium: 1651mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7700IU | Vitamin C: 48.8mg | Calcium: 204mg | Iron: 7.8mg