Panzanella Salad with Saganaki
Panzanella Salad with Saganaki - Italy meets Greece in this juicy Tuscan tomato salad with crispy fried Greek cheese.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 3 servings
- 400 g mixed colour tomatoes – take out of the fridge for an hour to come up to room temperature for maximum flavour.
- Large pinch of freshly ground salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices of ciabatta bread cut into cubes
- 200 g Kefalotyri* Greek cheese, sliced into 1-inch squares
- 2 tbsp plain/all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 red onion peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- ½ a clove of garlic peeled and minced
Chop the tomatoes and mix with the salt and pepper – leave for 10-15 minutes to release their juices.
Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan, and place the bread cubes in. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and toast each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the pan and turn off the heat.
Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small jug.
Place the toasted ciabatta chunks in a serving bowl. Mix in the tomatoes – juices as well. Drizzle on half of the dressing and toss to ensure the bread mixes with the dressing. Leave for 10 minutes to allow the flavours to develop and for the bread to soak up the liquid.
Put the pan back on the heat again and add the remaining oil. Heat until hot. Dredge the Kefalotyri chunks in the flour, then place in the hot pan. Fry, turning once for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Turn off the heat and sprinkle on the lemon juice. Add the cheese to the salad.
Top the salad with slices of red onion. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
* You can use graviera, kefalograviera or kasseri cheese if you can't find kefalotyri. Use halloumi if you're really struggling to find any of those.
Nutritional Information is per serving.
Calories: 552kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Sodium: 991mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1215IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 680mg | Iron: 0.8mg