Creamy Tomato Soup and Basil Cheese on Toast
Creamy Tomato Soup with Basil cheese on toast - the added hidden veg means it's extra healthy whilst still tasting indulgent!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 Servings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 3 x 400ml tins of chopped tomatoes in juice
- splash of cold water
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp. double/heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Basil Cheese on Toast:
- 6 Slices thick cut bread gluten free if required
- 250 g mature cheddar cheese grated
- 6 shakes of Worcestershire sauce check for gluten free if required. The Lea and Perrins variety is
- 3 tbsp. fresh basil chopped (ideally chop it just before serving)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add in the onions. Cook on a low heat for 5-6 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent. Add in the garlic, sweet potato and red pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the tins of tomatoes, water, tomato puree and sugar. Bring everything to a gently bubble, then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every so often.
Whilst the soup is simmering, lightly toast your bread on both sides under the grill. When lightly browned, split the grated cheese between the slices of toast and add a shake or Worcestershire sauce to each piece. Place the toast back under the grill until melted and bubbling.
At this point your soup should be ready. Turn off the heat and blend the soup using a hand blender. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Split the soup between 6 bowls and serve with the cheese on toast. Sprinkle the cheese on toast with the chopped basil right before serving.
Any leftover soup can be cooled, covered and chilled or frozen for later. Just reheat in a pan until piping hot.
Nutritional Information is per serving and not using Gluten Free Bread.
Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 726mg | Potassium: 673mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 4900IU | Vitamin C: 48.3mg | Calcium: 436mg | Iron: 3.9mg