Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Juicy, spicy, fresh and healthy - these Asian lettuce wraps have got it all!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 10 wraps
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 450 g Chicken breast, cut into small chunks (Note 1)
- 3 Little Gem Lettuce - only need the outer leaves (Note 2)
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 5 small mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger peeled and chopped finely
- 2 red chillies sliced
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce (use 2 tbsp tamari and 1 tbsp water mixed with a pinch of bouillon for gluten free, or instead you could use 3 tbsp GF teriyaki sauce)
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 heaped tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 spring onions/scallions sliced
- Extra slices of red chilli to serve
Heat the oil on a high heat in a large frying pan and add the chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes, turning regularly until the chicken starts to brown.
Whilst the chicken is cooking remove and wash the outer leaves from the little gem lettuces. You'll need 10 of the larger leaves. Pat them dry and arrange on a plate.
Add the carrots and mushrooms to the chicken and cook for a minute, then add in the garlic, ginger and chillies and cook for another minute.
Add in the soy sauce and honey and bring the mixture to a bubble. Allow to bubble gently for a couple of minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. (Note 3)
Spoon the chicken mixture out into the lettuce leaves and sprinkle with sesame seeds, spring onion and chilli slices.
- You can replace the chicken breast with chicken thigh, or even beef/turkey/pork mince.
- Little gem (which is are small Romaine/Cos lettuces) is the perfect lettuce as it's small, crunchy and holds its shape well, but any small crunchy lettuces leaves are fine. Chicory works well.
- If you want the sauce a little thicker, stir in a little cornflour/cornstarch slurry (1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp cold water) a splash at a time until thickened to your liking.
Can I make it gluten free?
Yes! Replace the soy sauce with 2 tbsp tamari and 1 tbsp water mixed with a pinch of bouillon ,or instead, you could use 3 tbsp GF teriyaki sauce.
Can I make it ahead?
Yes, you can make the filling ahead, then cool quickly, cover and refrigerate for up to two days. Reheat in a wok with a splash of water until piping hot throughout.
It's not a good idea to make the whole thing ahead, as the lettuce will go soggy.
Nutritional Information is per lettuce wrap.
Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 362mg | Potassium: 283mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1685IU | Vitamin C: 16.2mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 0.6mg