What do you serve with fishcakes?
That’s the quandary I always find myself in when making these. We’re a hungry family, and a fishcake with a measly bit of salad would result in some grumpy, unsatisfied customers. These are made with mashed potato though, so I can’t serve them with more potato, and rice or noodles just don’t go….
So here’s my answer: give them two big fat fishcakes and serve with an interesting zesty salad and corn on the cob. It seemed to work. Not a single ‘but muuuuum I’m still hunnnngry’. Just satisfied faces and full bellies!
Fish cakes with fruit salad (makes 10 fish cakes):
- 900g leftover mashed potato
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 200g breadcrumbs (either fresh or shop bought – panko breadcrumbs are good)
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cod/haddock fillets
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 100g bag of babyleaf salad
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 apple, cored and sliced into wedges (squeeze a little lemon juice on to stop the apple slices from going brown)
- Handful of red grapes
- 2 spring onions (scallions) sliced into thin, inch long strips
- 50g Manchego cheese, sliced using a potato peeler
- 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of good balsamic vinegar whisked with a pinch of salt and pepper for a salad dressing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Put the fish fillets onto a baking tray, drizzle with the olive oil and a little salt and pepper and bake in the oven for about 12 minutes. Take out of the oven, leave to cool slightly and then crumble into large chunks.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed potato, cheese, cooked fish and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Put the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs onto 3 large plates. Take a good scoop of the fish cake mixture (about the size of a peach) and form into a patty. Dip the fish cake in turn into the flour, egg and finally the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess as you go. Repeat until you’ve used up all of the mixture.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan, then fry the fish cakes in two batches (use 2 tbsp oil for each batch) on a medium heat for about 5 mins on each side, until golden and crisp. You can keep the first batch warm in the oven whilst you’re waiting for the second batch.
- Whilst the fish cakes are cooking, make the salad by placing the salad leaves in a large bowl, placing the orange and apple slices at the sides of the bowl and then sprinkling the grapes, manchego cheese and spring onions on top.
- Serve the fishcakes with a corn on the cob and the salad.
Any leftover fish cakes should be cooled, then wrapped in tin foil and stored in the fridge for a day or two only. Reheat by placing in an oven preheated to 200C for 15 mins (check they’re piping hot in the middle before serving).