This post is sponsored by HelloFresh – all opinions are completely my own.
I was recently sent the HelloFresh family box to try, and you know what?
It’s the first time I’ve ever cooked bulgar wheat!
I don’t know why I haven’t tried it before, but it’s bloomin lovely! Of course, I made all the other recipes from the box too, it was just interesting to try something new and different that I hadn’t really thought of before. I’d normally reach for the couscous or quinoa first, but I’ve got a new staple in my cupboard now!
If you haven’t heard of HelloFresh yet, it’s a subscription service that delivers fresh ingredients (in exactly the right amounts) to your door, for making recipes at home. Each box includes recipe cards that have full instructions with step-by-step photos. You can choose from smaller boxes, vegetarian boxes or family boxes.
I got the family box – which provides four different meals, each for four people. I got: Honey Mustard Gammon with Parsley Sauce (we had this one last night and, wow – that sauce is delicious!), Beef Enchiladas (quite a spicy one, but the kids still scoffed the lot, along with a glass of water), Chicken Chow Mein (lots of lovely veggies with tender chicken thighs and a tasty sauce) and Cajun Pork with Bulgar Wheat and Garlicky Greens:
Opening the box was rather exciting! The ingredients for each meal are packed in separate colour-coded bags, and there’s an extra bag for the meat and dairy that needs to be refrigerated right away (although they’re well insulated, with chilled pouches in there to keep everything cool):
The recipe cards are really informative, with photos of the ingredients needed, the finished dish and for each step along the way. There’s also info on:
- Timings – so you can plan when to start cooking
- How many of your five a day (2 of my recipes were 2 of our 5-a-day, and the other covered all 5 portions of our 5-a-day)
- Heat level (i.e spicy or mild)
- Nutritional info
I made the Cajun pork first, which took 40 minutes from start to finish. The meat was marinated, before being browned in the pan, then finished in the oven:
Although I used a few pans, the whole process was so easy. As a blogger, I often cook new recipes, but they’re all meals that I plan, using ingredients that I’m familiar with. On the days I’m not cooking for the blog, it’s easy to fall into the same routine of four or five rotation recipes. I often struggle to come up with something new and different, that also ticks the fresh and healthy boxes – especially when I’m having a busy week and haven’t got the brain capacity to plan something out.
What I loved about the HelloFresh box was that we had meals that were completely out of the routine, using ingredients I wouldn’t think of using. All the while, using recipe cards that took the guesswork out of cooking something new.
And you know that new chippy that opened up the road recently (ok, you probably don’t, I only vaguely mentioned it one of my previous posts)?
I still haven’t been tempted to try it!
Woo hoo! The results from my health kick and personal trainer programme are still going strong.
All of this got me thinking – what have I done to break out of the usual routine lately. Let’s see, in the last month:
- I’ve been on a girly shopping day on a weekday! A lovely day out with my mum in Manchester, where we came home laden with bags!
- I had my first attempt at talking to the camera for an upcoming recipe video (I hate my voice, but glad I did it anyway).
- I went jogging on a Friday lunchtime with my friend, Sally. We’ve been trying to get in a weekly workout in my living room, but we had a fab jog in the local park on a gorgeous sunny day last week. I felt SO much better for it, after a stressful morning.
- Chris and I attended a food styling class a couple of weekends ago to try something different. We came away with new inspiration and lots of ideas.
- We’ve been planning for Chris to come and join me at Kitchen Sanctuary. Now that really is going to be different! Looking forward to this massive change though!
Had you done anything out of the ordinary lately? I think even something small can give you energy and a fresh perspective.
I’d love to hear if you’ve done anything new, or plan to try something new!
Also, use my code: KITCHENSANCTUARY to get £25 off your first HelloFresh box!