Chicken Tikka Chapati Burritos – the made-from-scratch marinade is so tasty and easy too!
Ow ow ow ow. I’m in so much pain right now.
No need for concern – it’s all self-inflicted.
I started my personal training sessions again last night, followed by an outdoor fitness class this morning. My body is screaming at me to lie down and watch TV until at least Sunday, but I’ve arranged another mini-workout session tomorrow with a friend.
I’m not normally (or ever?) this enthusiastic about exercise, but something needs to be done about my sausage thighs.
All that weight I lost (if you remember those before and after pics from my May 2016 income report?) – Yeah, I’m almost back to the before picture again grrrrr!
Getting an extension done and having no kitchen for several months (too much convenience food and chocolate treats), plus Christmas and my general tendency to eat like a starving hippopotamus have been my excuses for too long now, so I’m back on track again. I’ll be back at that ‘after’ picture by the end of next month!
All of that doesn’t stop me from still wanting junk food and takeaways though, so instead i’m cooking it at home.
These Chicken Tikka Chapati Burritos contain chicken pieces marinated in made-from-scratch tikka paste, then grilled or barbecued until just charred. So good! All wrapped up in a chapati and topped with rice, veggies, yogurt and a little mango chutney. I like to add a few sliced chillies too for a bit of heat.
These Chicken Tikka Chapati Burritos are definitely a meal to make me feel better about my achy muscles, without the millions of calories in a creamy Indian curry.
Are you on a weight-loss/fitness pursuit too? I’d love to hear of any tasty recipes you enjoy to keep you on track!
- 2 chicken breasts chopped into bite-size chunks
- 120 ml Greek yogurt or thick natural yogurt (full fat)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger peeled and minced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder or hot if you like it spicy
- pinch of cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 chapatis
- 4 large leaves from a romaine lettuce sliced into strips
- 170 g cooked basmati rice
- 4 tbsp Greek or natural yogurt
- 4 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 jalapeno chilli thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper de-seeded and chopped finely
- Place the chicken breast pieces into a bowl or freezer bag with the yogurt, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, coriander, turmeric, cumin, paprika, chilli powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Mix together so that everything is combined, then place in the fridge to marinate for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and thread the chicken pieces onto four long metal skewers (you can use wooden skewers if you prefer, but soak them in water for at least an hour beforehand to prevent them from burning).
- Brush the chicken skewers all over with the oil, then grill for 8-10 minutes, turning once or twice until fully cooked and a little charred on the outside. Make sure the chicken is cooked by slicing into a large piece and ensuring it's no longer pink in the middle.
- Place the chapatis onto four plates. Add the sliced lettuce and the cooked rice, then remove the chicken from the skewers and place on the chapatis. Top with yogurt and mango chutney, then sprinkle on the jalapeno slices and chopped red pepper. Roll the chapatis up and wrap in foil - burrito style - and serve immediately.
If you want to make the burritos ahead to take for lunch, allow the chicken to cool before assembling. Then wrap and refrigerate until lunchtime.